Sales and marketing are two interdependent departments that allow a company to achieve common goals. But for them to be achieved, the role of the marketer is crucial. To know what are the most important qualities that a salesman must have, read our article.
You wish to join
an INSEEC program?
You wish to have some
more information about a program?
What are the duties of a salesperson?
The role of the sales representative is to generate and boost the sales of a company, thanks to customer prospecting methods and the development of its portfolio.
In the past, sales people thought that every person is a potential customer and that this can contribute to more sales. But today, this is no longer the case, because salespeople can distinguish between relevant and irrelevant customers. Based on this, they must be able to customize their services to meet the needs of consumers and especially target their business operations.
It is always important to get to know the customer before offering a product or service. To do this, a good salesperson must know the latest trends in the industry in which he or she operates. This implies a total mastery of social networks and the various relevant information sources.
A good salesperson must also be versatile and able to work not only with the marketing department, but also with other departments in the company. Since he has a thorough knowledge of useful customer information, he can help bloggers create relevant content, or help designers create a product that perfectly meets customer needs.
What human qualities should a salesperson have?
It is important to know that the salesperson is in constant contact with the customers. It must therefore be able to interact effectively with them. For this, certain human qualities are useful.
- Good listening skills. The first step in selling begins with listening. This will give them the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the prospect’s concerns and needs. This strategy will generate customer interest and trust. This way, he can act as an advisor without the customer feeling harassed or pressured to buy a product or service.
- empathy. Empathy and compassion are quality traits that must be almost innate in a salesperson. Empathetic salespeople listen carefully to people and are very sensitive to what affects them. They are able to put themselves in the shoes of others so that they have a better understanding of their real concerns and needs. This allows them to know how best to help their clients.
- An attitude that instills confidence. Being successful in sales and as a salesperson is above all a matter of trust. The best salespeople understand the importance of building trust and satisfaction with every customer. To do this, they regularly follow up with their prospects and customers, not just when they are trying to close a sale. Even after an unsuccessful sale, the salesperson always keeps in touch with his customers.
What technical skills and knowledge should a salesperson have?
There are certain skills in which a salesperson must excel to ensure good sales results and performance.
- Identify new opportunities. Sales people usually have a unique view of customers. To do this, they must always make sure to make improvements to their products, ideally based on customer feedback. To do this, they must be able to decipher these factors from the technical data at their disposal. They must also be able to detect other opportunities from the results of certain studies that remain untapped.
- Develop the best solutions. A salesperson must be able to find a unique solution to each situation without impacting the business. His technical skills give him good leeway to provide solutions to certain problems that are quite complex to solve. They certainly have an impact on sales volume and customer loyalty.
- Respond and provide technical advice. A salesperson must be able to respond and provide technical answers for every situation. It must be able to make a technical assessment of consumer behavior. This technical expertise will serve as a reference for the marketing team to develop an effective advertising and sales strategy.
What are the advantages of being a sales representative?
Sales is a clear example of the pay-for-performance system. That’s why many people want to become a salesperson. In addition to building relationships with different people, this professional earns a fairly comfortable salary. The more important the position, the higher the salary, not to mention the bonuses to which it is added.
The sales profession also provides challenges. Indeed, the bar is raised with each performance, allowing you to excel and climb the ladder through increasingly difficult challenges.Updated 13 July 2023