The work-study contract is now in vogue among students. It allows you to enter the workforce by gaining professional experience and following a training course at the same time. But before finalizing a work-study contract, you must first go through a job interview. In order to succeed in the interview, it is essential to be well prepared. Interviews for work-study programs are based on the same principle as job interviews for fixed-term or permanent contracts. Here are some techniques to help you prepare for your interview for a work-study contract.
You wish to join
an INSEEC program?
You wish to have some
more information about a program?
Find out about the company
If you are called for an interview, it means that your file has caught the attention of your recruiter. Now it’s time for the interview to finalize your recruitment.
The interview for r a work-study contract is an individual interview. It lasts between 30 minutes and 1 hour 30 minutes. It depends on how the interview goes. You can face one or more recruiters.
The first step is to find out about the company you want to work for. In this sense, educate yourself on the company’s culture, policies and areas of activity. A candidate who does not appear to be interested in the company to which he/she has applied will not be retained.
Going into more detail, and in order to be able to easily answer the question: “Why are you applying with us?”, here are the essentials to know:
- Corporate identity: find out what steps the company has taken to get to where it is today. Memorize the name of the founder, the name of the current manager, the number of employees, whether the company belongs to a group, and whether it has foreign firms;
- The company’s activities and products: you must know the full range of products and services offered;
- Corporate values and culture: most large companies present their guiding values on their website. You can therefore show during the interview that you have the same values;
- Recent company news: it is important to stay informed about the company’s current events, and to know about future major events as well as past milestones.
Find out about the position
Certainly, you applied to learn the trade. But it is still necessary to know the basics of the profession that interests you. This way, you can demonstrate to your recruiter that you are the best person for the job.
You can do research on the internet. Try to find out as much as you can about the tasks assigned to the job and the qualities required. You will also discover the necessary work methods.
Prepare to avoid trick questions
The interview is specially designed for questions and answers. Some questions will be classics. Others will be set to trap you. With the trick questions, the recruiter will determine your ability to analyze as well as your personality. He or she will be able to make a judgment on your insight and intelligence. It is therefore essential to be well prepared. Good preparation also helps you to better manage stress.
Here are some examples of questions to prepare for:
- what are your weaknesses?
- what are your strengths?
- why should we choose you?
- why did you choose to follow this training?
- why did you choose the work-study contract?
- why did you apply for this position?
- why did you apply to us?
- What difference will you make to the company?
- where do you see yourself after 5 years?
- Isn’t it too difficult to combine work and study?
Rehearse before the day of the interview
In order to succeed in the interview for the work-study contract, it is necessary to prepare. Rehearsal is part of the preparation. Therefore, before the big day, rehearse with your friends or family. This is a simulation of the interview. You can practice answering any questions. This will allow you to improve any arguments that you feel are too weak. With repetition, you will have the chance to work on the fluency of your sentences. You will gain confidence.
Paying attention to dress and attitude
First impressions are very important. Some recruiters may judge you by your attire. Make an effort to dress up. Take care of your appearance. In fact, for certain positions, especially for jobs in contact with the public, appearance is important. Your appearance also conveys the company’s image.
After the outfit, you must also work on your attitude and gestures. With a firm handshake, you can show your confidence and active temperament. You have to be able to handle the questions with ease.
Just like the first impression, the last one is no less important. Don’t forget to smile on your way out.Updated 2 August 2023