Zeta shoes: First webinar of the INSEEC Luxury & Wine RDV series with the interview of a young entrepreneur
“The 100% recycled sneaker, success and boldness of a young entrepreneur from Bordeaux.”
This conference was broadcast LIVE on November 17, 2020 on the pages LINKEDIN, FACEBOOK et YOUTUBE MSc & MBA INSEEC. This webinar was an opportunity to talk about his background, the steps of the creation of his brand Zéta Shoes, his values and missions and finally his future ambitions. It was moderated by Thierry LAURET, INSEEC Programs Director, and Lenna JOUOT, MSc 2 student MSports Management and Marketing at INSEEC Bordeaux.
Webinaire INSEEC – Laure BABIN | Zeta Shoes
Webinaire en live et replay
From idea to reality
It was during a trip to Cambodia where she witnessed the overuse of plastic and polluting materials that the idea of making eco responsible sneakers came to Laure Babin. The objective: to rethink the shoe so that it has the lowest possible impact on the environment and people.
While she was still a Master 2 student, Laure threw herself body and soul into the project. For this, she benefited from the support of her school’s Incubator.
An eco-responsible approach
Its leitmotiv: to be responsible, for that, several means:
- The main material: a vegan leather made of grape marc, a waste product recovered during the wine making process
- Favoring short circuits to reduce the carbon footprint, so its sneakers are from a Portuguese manufacturing workshop. Why Portugal? Because 90% of the raw material comes from Portugal. It is more interesting to assemble everything on site. His dream would be to make a 100% French sneaker but that would mean a cost higher than 200€, to see according to the expectations of the customers…
- Eliminate paper packaging and labels to eliminate waste
- No marketing campaign and very little advertising (and relying on family and friends to get the word out at first!)
- No physical point of sale, for the moment everything is 100% digital to minimize expenses. It has nevertheless accepted a few resellers, these B to B levers allow to reassure the customer who needs to touch.
An entrepreneurial vision
The question of financing quickly arose and she decided to carry out an ULULE campaign. A well-prepared and long-term campaign that largely exceeded the expected objective: 3,800 pairs instead of the 300 expected!
His advice for students or young graduates who also want to start their own business: surround yourself well. An entrepreneur cannot be perfect in all areas. Laure was lacking in numbers, so she didn’t hesitate to get help from friends and specialized structures. This is also the role of an incubator such as the one at INSEEC. You have to give yourself the means to succeed!
Her vision of the business for the future? She does not close any door and would like to create a range for children, accessories and … a 100% Bordeaux product! Can’t wait to discover!Updated 19 January 2022