You wish to join
an INSEEC program?
You wish to have some
more information about a program?
What training should I do to work in sports?
It is possible to pursue a career in sport through several training courses ranging from post-bac to higher education at Bac+3 and Bac+5.
Training to work in sports
There are many training courses available if you want to work in sports.
Several broad categories exist:
- STAPS, the state certificates and diplomas of sports management, which are practical training of the sport, since one wishes to teach the discipline of the sport to the practitioners as a teacher, sports coach ;
- Journalism schools in case the student wants to join a media specialized in sports;
- Bachelors and masters degrees in business schools and universities, which are more generalized and which will allow the student to practice a multitude of jobs in sports management. In general, the scope is more business oriented and the opportunities are vast between joining a sports federation or a sports equipment manufacturer as a marketing manager or event manager.
Where to work in sports?
Sport allows you to work in multiple private and public structures and organizations, among others:
- Sports federations and associations;
- With athletes or agencies representing athletes;
- Sponsors and brands that sell or produce sports-related equipment and services;
- Sports media to become a journalist;
- Within communities and the Ministry of Sport;
- Or even event agencies related to sports.
What are the jobs in sports?
The jobs can be varied, among other opportunities: marketing manager at Nike, sponsorship manager at the Paris Saint Germain club, sales manager at Decathlon, lifeguard at a swimming pool at the Paris City Hall, or even manager of a professional athlete.
Why work in sports?
Sports is an interesting career choice:
- A job with passion;
- A current event and a strong dynamism with the Olympic Games for example in 2024, or the world cups and champions leagues;
- An industry that advocatesinnovation, especially with the arrival of e-sport and international competitions that allow strong digital developments;
- An international industry;
- Numerous professions with nearly 360,000 sports associations and 112,000 companies;
- Sport is at the heart of the French economy. This industry represents nearly 91 billion euros in France.
How to work in sports without a degree?
Working without a degree in any industry can make it more challenging for the student. While internships and jobs are necessary to complete an education, theoretical teachings can help save time and steps throughout a career.
However, the student without a degree can start a sport, get involved in the host federation, get a coach to assist him/her, join the sales team in a sporting goods store and progress throughout his/her career by opportunity. It is a longer way but not impossible.
Which BAC to work in sports?
The choice of the type of baccalaureate depends on the orientation choices mentioned above, for :
- STAPS, state certificates and diplomas , professional or general scientific and economic baccalaureate are to be preferred;
- Schools of journalism the general economic and literary baccalaureate are preferable;
- For bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business schools and universities, it is preferable to have a general bachelor’s degree, especially in economics, but scientific and literary studies are also valid.
Which Bachelor’s degree to work in sports?
In the context of a higher education program in sports, it is interesting to choose either a general business degree or a more specialized degree in sports.
Business schools offer a wide range of courses to provide students with a solid foundation in marketing, communication, finance, accounting and law. This course of study allows students to grasp all the essential notions of management, marketing and organizational management.
Bachelor’s and bachelor’s degrees in business schools also allow for internships, work-study programs, and foreign exchanges.
This generalist base allows the student, if he or she wishes later on, to change sector if one day sport is no longer the only path in which he or she wishes to evolve.
Which master’s degree to work in sports?
Within the framework of the Master’s degree, the student can continue his or her studies in a specialized business school.
A few schools offer the opportunity to study the sports industry and the different professions that are practiced in it. This course offers students the opportunity to meet professionals in the sector, to understand the codes, the players, and the workings of this industry.
It seems important for the student to continue his studies up to the Master’s degree in order to be eligible for jobs with responsibilities and quickly interesting salaries.
Once again, the business school allows for internships, work-study programs and international exchanges.
What are the courses offered by INSEEC to work in the sports sector?
INSEEC is an integral part of the OMNES Education group. It is a state-approved business school that offers specializations in the field of sports.
The campuses are located in several French cities and internationally through partnerships with schools. Among others, INSEEC offers courses in Chambéry, Paris, Bordeaux, Lyon and Rennes.
INSEEC offers a complete catalog of specialized training in sports after the baccalaureate, from bachelor to master, for example:
- The Bachelor Sport Business (Bac+3) ;
- The Master of Science in Marketing & Management of Outdoor Sports in Chambéry (Bac+5) ;
- The Master of Science in Sports Marketing & Management in Paris, Bordeaux, Chambéry and Lyon (Bac+5).
Any other questions? Our FAQ’s answer questions you may have about sports.Updated 17 May 2023